If you are trying to transform rough lumber into a remarkable piece having a uniform thickness and smooth sides, then your workshop must have a thickness planer. This thickness planer has used to trim the rough-sawn surface boards by woodworkers. After multiple passes in a planer, it results in a smoother workpiece having a uniform thickness.
Thickness planers developed at a hefty cost and not as expensive as before. At present, various models help you to transform bulk wood into similar thickness boards. These machines are much handy, thus a worker can desire of best wood-planers as an investment.
Choosing the right thickness planer particularly if you have no information about where to start or what to look for. Various models and brands are available in the market, you need to have all information to make a good decision. This review article will guide you wisely by offering relevant knowledge about thickness planers along with reviews of the best specs available now!
Characteristics of the “Best Thickness Planer”
A motor of best thickness planner is always present in ‘Amps’. The more amps, the stronger (powerful) the planer is. E.g. a hand planner does not have various Amps as compared to larger models. Motor of the machine is significant to consider. A good planer has two kinds of motors i.e. universal or induction. Universal motors are lightweight and better for little sized thickness planers, lightweight construction, and portable applications. Whereas, induction motors are perfect for static installation, industrial setups, and stationary workshops.
Width Capacity and Thickness
For choosing the best thickness planer, you must know what thickness you require. Generally, an electrical planer has 6 inches capacity, however, there are various machines present in the market with greater thickness. Although, many models have a depth stop. Thus, you can adjust the thickness planer to the desired width. A maximum width handled by a thickness planer is its ‘width capacity’. Commonly, a good thickness planer has a width capacity in the range of 12 inches to 20 inches.
Weight and Size
The weight of the machine is significant particularly if you desire to buy a good hand planer. The weight would determine the maneuverability of the wood planer. Must choose a thickness planer having a proper balance of weight, feel, and power as this enhances productivity.
The size of the thickness is also a significant factor to consider. Commonly, this will refer to the greatest material width that can handle the thickness planner. These thickness planers come in multiple sizes, you must decide first either you want larger thickness planers or smaller models of wood planners.
The best thickness planers must have good voltage capacity to suit your preferences and needs. A standard jack has 110V in the United States, while it is 220V within Europe or all other regions around the world. As you choose a wood planer for your shop, must learn about its whole electrical specifications. Thus, you must consider its working features either it is run in your workshop or home.
Blades and Knives Speed
As you think about purchasing a thickness planer, it must have 2-5 knives at the cutter head. As a wood planer has faster speed and more blades, this will provide greater strokes. In turn, it will offer a smoother and more refined finish as well. Speed of blade is much essential. This is a good thought to select a wood planer having an adjustable speed of blade for better control and versatility.
Now, you are aware of how these thickness planners function and what factors to consider while choosing a good thickness planer for the workshop. Some thickness planers are reviewed here as considered best among their categories. Just have a look at the following specs!
- DEWALT Thickness Planer (13-Inch)
- POWERTEC 2-Blade 15 Amp Thickness Planer
- CRAFTSMAN 15 Amp Benchtop Planer
- DEWALT Two Speed 13-Inch Thickness Planer
- DEWALT MAX 20V Brushless Planer
- Makita 12-Inch Planer
- Porter-Cable 12 Inches 15 Amp Benchtop Planer
- DEWALT 15-Amp Single Speed Benchtop Planer
1. DEWALT Thickness Planer (13-Inch)
Carriage-lock: Automatic carriage-lock decreases motions that produce snipe beyond manual engagement. This carriage lock helps in the safe blade change functions.
Turret depth stop: Turret depth stop is an extra-large guide’s workers to return frequently towards used thickness. Proper width capacity of 13 inches and has 92 lbs weight.
Speed: Double speed gearbox helps customers to change feed-speed. Depth cut is up to 1/8 inches with the optimized speed of cuts/inch is 179 or 96 CPI. 3-knife cutter head gives a maximum of 30% longer life.
Rigid: The cast aluminum base is 19 inches to ¾ inches, 2X times more rigid as compared to 10 inches standard base or folding tables. Featured with outfeed and infeed tables along with an additional set of blades.
- Excellent width capacity of 13 inches, provides additional blades.
- Powered by the greater voltage of 110V, having 92 lbs weight.
- Good compatibility with DW735X 13 inches and DW735 13 inches.
- Voltage cannot be converted into 200V, provides out/infeed tables.
- The double speed gearbox helps customers to change feed-speed.
- An optimized speed of cuts/inch is 179 or 96 CPI units.
- Supported with automatic carriage-lock to decrease the snipes and motions.
- Maximum depth cut is up to 1/8 inches, offers dust hose adapter.
- Ideal dimensions of 18 H x 24 L x 22 W inches.
- Excellent chip ejection.
- Blades change easily.
- Very smooth finishes.
- Ground everything.
2. POWERTEC 2-Blade 15 Amp Thickness Planer
Effective: Designed with anti-wobble bottom, heavy-duty, and extraordinary sturdy. Upgraded with a non-marring surface and useful for professional woodworking. Supported with an assortment of plane type boards up to 12.5-6 inches thickness.
Quick: Powered by impressive 15-Amp motor and innovative cutting blade system. Enhanced features with an assortment of plane type boards up to 12.5-6 inches thickness. Supported to deliver more than 18800 cuts/minute along with 9400 rpm. The spindle lock is used for safe blade change.
Functions: Powertec is a portable wood planer and an essential tool for woodworks. Particularly designed for repurposing wood and giving an exceptionally smooth finish. Best for DIY woodworking. Flawless finishes, supported with a 4-column design offer maximum stability and precision.
Powerful: Powered by the 15-Amp motor. The double blade cutting unit delivers full depth cuts in hardwood materials. Cuts all types of walnut lumber, pallet wood, and raw oak. For quality assurance, the planer has a 1-year warranty.
- Powertec is a portable wood planer, an essential tool for woodworks.
- Particularly designed for repurposing wood, giving an exceptionally smooth finish.
- Developed with anti-wobble bottom, heavy-duty, and extraordinary sturdy.
- Solid stainless steel construction of cutter head, one-year limited warranty.
- Supported to deliver more than 18800 cuts/minute along with 9400 rpm.
- Powered by an impressive 15-Amp motor, innovative cutting blade system.
- Upgraded with a non-marring surface, useful for professional and DIY woodworking.
- Supported with an assortment of plane type boards up to 12.5-6 inches thickness.
- The double blade cutting unit delivers full depth cuts in hardwood materials.
- Practical DIY projects.
- Easy to operate.
- Exceptional smooth finishes.
- Not negatively reviewed yet.
3. CRAFTSMAN 15 Amp Benchtop Planer
Stock removal: Poly V drive cutter-head has used for large removal of stock. Upgraded design best for planes glued up wood materials.
Smooth operations: Solid steel cutter head, quick change, double knife, ball bearings with head-mounted have assured the longer life and smooth operations of the planer.
Powerful: Powered by 15 Amp motor helps in removal of superior stock. Offers power for both types of soft and hardwood removal.
Ideal dimensions: Ideal dimensions for lumber transformation to desire thickness. Designed with high carbon steel and double-edged tool to ensure long life.
Speed: Maximum cutter-head speed of 8000 rpm offers 16000 cuts/minute. Quick change and double blade functions enhance the speed with smooth finishing.
- Powered by a 15 Amp motor helps in the removal of superior stock.
- Maximum cutter-head speed of 8000 rpm offers 16000 cuts/minute.
- Offers power for both types of soft and hardwood removal.
- Double knife, cutter-head designed with solid steel ensures long life.
- Ideal dimensions for lumber transformation to desire thickness.
- Double-edged, high carbon steel, reversible blades for cutting.
- Solid steel cutter, mounted on ball-bearings, assures smooth functions.
- Poly V drive cutter-head for large removal of stock.
- Upgraded design best for planes glued up wood materials.
- Easy to set-up.
- Smooth operations.
- Feasible to use.
4. DEWALT Two Speed 13-Inch Thickness Planer
Chip-ejection: Featured with Chip-ejection vacuums chip-off with fan assisted of cutter-head.
Speed: Easier and faster change of knives, 10000 rpm cutter-head speed.
Heavy loads: Developed for heavy load sizes of 24/22/30 inches. Durable thickness planer under heavy-duty works.
Powerful: A powerful motor of 15 Amp along with maximum versatility.
Gearbox: A double speed gearbox promotes customers to change the feed-speed efficiently.
- 3 knives cutter-head provide 30% longer life of DEWALT planner.
- Easier and faster change of knives, 10000 rpm cutter-head speed.
- Featured with a powerful motor of 15 Amp, maximum versatility.
- Enhanced storage and feasible movement of stand and planer.
- Developed for heavy load sizes of 24/22/30 inches.
- Chip-ejection vacuums chip-off with fan assisted of cutter-head.
- Stable and durable thickness planer under heavy-duty works.
- The double speed gearbox helps customers to change feed-speed.
- Optimized cuts/inch at a better CPI value of 96 or 179.
- Finishes a very nice surface.
- Maximum speed.
- Great chip-ejection works.
- Not negatively reviewed yet.
5. DEWALT MAX 20V Brushless Planer
Knob: There is an adjustment knob with a calibrated depth of 5/64 inches or 2mm approximately.
Durability: Featured with belt Poly V drive offers enhanced belt durability.
Brushless motor: DEWALT Max has a brushless motor and offers a runtime of 32000 cuts/minute.
Load speed: Load speed is not 15000 rpm, cordless features, and a low weight of 6.7 pounds.
Flawless finish: 3 inches to ¼ inches width capacity, back shoes of aluminum ensure uniform cut.
- DEWALT Max has a brushless motor and offers a runtime of 32000 cuts/minute.
- Adjustment knob with a calibrated depth of 5/64 inches or 2mm approximately.
- Load speed is not 15000 rpm, cordless features, and a low weight of 6.7 pounds.
- Supported with 1/256 inches as well as a precision front machine planer.
- 3 inches to ¼ inches width capacity, back shoes of aluminum ensure uniform cut.
- Kickstand helps workers to rest the planer on the wood surface beyond gouging.
- Powered by 20V battery Max system, a good rebate capacity of 5/64 inches.
- Upgraded with belt Poly V drive offers enhanced belt durability.
- Charger and battery are sold separately, planer has 16 x 8 x 6.94 inches dimensions.
- Super-high quality planer.
- Easy to adjust.
- Smooth and quiet function.
- Glassy finishes.
6. Makita 12-Inch Planer
Thickness: The thickness of Makita planer ranges from 6 inches to 3/32 inches along with a width capacity of 12 inches.
Speed: Maximum cut speed of 8500 rpm, featured with 2 knives, 1/8 inch cut depth, and 6-3/32 inches thickness.
Upgrade workpiece: Makita planer has a large extension of tables to upgrade workpieces with good LED light usage.
Stability: Diagonal cross as well as 4 post design enhance the stability of Makita thickness planer. Planer has engineered with faster blade changes.
Compact weight: Makita planer has low compact weight for feasible transportations. A minimum noise of 83dB produces for operator ease and comfort.
- Makita planer has low compact weight for feasible transportations.
- Minimum noise of 83dB for operator ease and comfort.
- Makita planer has a large extension of tables to upgrade workpieces.
- LED light shows that Makita planer has plugged into the power circuit.
- Completely adjustable stop depth for repeating cuts, 1/8 inches cut depth.
- Thickness ranges from 6 inches to 3/32 inches, width capacity 12 inches.
- Supported with appropriate dimensions of 15.79 x 30.35 x 19.02 inches.
- Diagonal cross and 4 posts design enhance the stability of the planer.
- Makita planer has engineered with easier and faster blade changes.
- Very easy to use.
- Fast blades.
- Safe functions.
- Impressive construction.
7. Porter-Cable 12 Inches 15 Amp Benchtop Planer
Power: For removal of superior stock, supported with powerful 15 Amp motor. For maximum power transfer, a sprocket feed roller drive is used.
Compact design: Porter-cable thickness planer is supported with the solid carbon-steel cutter, double edge design, and head-mounted on ball-bearing.
Gearbox: Upgraded with polyvinyl belt cutter-head drives through rugged chain or gearbox. Superior cut stability and cutter elevation are patented on 4 ground columns.
Speed: Maximum cutter-head speed 8000 rpm, powers 16000 cuts/minute. Fast change with 2 knives, reversible functions for double cutting life.
Voltage: Enhanced long-life operations with a single powerful phase of 120V. A quick self-feeding rate of 26.2 feet per minute assures long life.
- Maximum cutter-head speed 8000 rpm, powers 16000 cuts/minute.
- For removal of superior stock, supported with powerful 15 Amp motor.
- A quick self-feeding rate of 26.2 feet per minute, assures long life.
- Solid carbon-steel cutter, double edge, head-mounted on ball-bearing.
- Fast change with 2 knives, reversible functions for double cutting life.
- For superior cut stability, cutter elevation is patented on 4 accurate ground columns.
- Enhanced long-life operations with a single powerful phase of 120V.
- Upgraded with polyvinyl belt cutter-head drives through rugged chain or gearbox.
- For maximum power transfer, a sprocket feed roller drive is used.
- Porter-cable planer has proper dimensions 17.7 x 23 x 15 inches.
- Plenty of power.
- Top-quality features.
- Great budget planer.
- Smooth feeds and cuts.
- Blades’ cleaning need care.
8. DEWALT 15-Amp Single Speed Benchtop Planer
Speed: DEWALT–Max cutter-head speed of 10000 rpm provides 96 cuts/inch and offers a deeper cut into hardwood materials.
Carriage-lock: Carriage lock with 4 columns dramatically decreases the motion which causes snipe. Additional out/infeed tables offer 33.5 material support.
Motor handle: Larger motor handles of thickness planer with 20000 rpm speed. Powered by a maximum of 15 amp motor.
Accurate cuts: Additional thickness scale and material removal gauge provide accurate cuts. Reversible and disposable knives offer 30% greater knife life.
Fast change: Easy and quick knife change along with the finest finishes. DEWALT-Max thickness planner has 80 lbs weight.
- DEWALT thickness planner has designed with 3 knives cutter head.
- Max cutter-head speed of 10000 rpm provides 96 cuts/inch, powerful 15-amp motor.
- Reversible and disposable knives offer 30% greater knife life.
- Additional thickness scale and material removal gauge provide accurate cuts.
- Extra-long outfeed and infeed tables offer 33.5 material support.
- A depth stop Turret helps workers to return frequently utilized depths with ease.
- Larger motor handles with 20000 rpm speed, deeper cuts into hardwoods.
- Easy and quick knife change, the finest finishes having 80 lbs weight.
- Carriage lock with 4 columns dramatically decreases the motion which causes snipe.
- DEWALT 15-Amp planer has good dimensions of 21 x 24 x 17 inches.
- Accurate measurements.
- Dust control.
- Easy instructions.
- Solid construction.
A good thickness planner at your workshop or home helps you to fulfill woodworking tasks productively and more efficiently. Selecting one is a difficult task, but this is hoped that the above products’ reviews will guide you to choose the best one. All these thickness planners have designed with the best width capacity, high voltage ability, larger amps, fast blades, proper weight, and valuable dimensions. These wood planners are very helpful for making a good investment as you are going to spend valuable money, you must choose a thickness planner having all valuable features. You must consider all the given factors first, then prefer the products that we have reviewed for your ease!
Latest posts by Maria Joseph (see all)